[htdig] Search engine for private page

Subject: [htdig] Search engine for private page
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 01:57:47 PDT

I have what I believe is a common problem, but for which I find nothing in the
FAQ <http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html>. I have public and private (protected by
Apache's allow/deny) pages. I would like to index the private pages but
without letting ht://Dig reveal them to the outside. The solutions I see:

- assuming that all the restrictions are of the form (inside pasteur.fr /
outside), may I configure htsearch to *not* show the private pages to an
outsider? It does not seem so.

- make two databases, but I don't really see what can prevent the user to use
the private one (I have to authorize /cgi-bin/htsearch for everybody). Yes, I
can make two Web pages with different config (and authorize only one from
outside) but it seems a lame protection.