Re: [htdig] Indexing Flash (was Including Pull-Down Menu Pages)

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing Flash (was Including Pull-Down Menu Pages)
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 20:11:54 PDT

At 5:33 PM -0700 10/20/00, wrote:
>One search service ( will deal with raw Flash files. I do
>keep mentioning this issue to my colleagues who write search
>engines, but without luck so far.

We actually have a contributed Flash parser, though it obviously
needs testing. But in Flash, at least, you can see specific URLs as
such. It's a file format and can generally be split into parsable
sections. Similarly, I expect someone could work out a parser for
URLs in QuickTime movies.

JavaScript, on the other hand is a full programming language, so
you'd have to *run* it to get any sort of URL information. Unless a
future version becomes "search engine friendly" nothing can (or will)