Re: [htdig] Including Pull-Down Menu Pages

Subject: Re: [htdig] Including Pull-Down Menu Pages
From: nets@searchtools.com
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 17:33:55 PDT

I don't think you quite understand the magnitude of your request.
Have you looked at all the other search engines? Can you name me
*any* which can indeed do that? I have been testing search engines
for a year and have yet to find one which can deal with JavaScript
links, including the ones which cost thousands of dollars. One
search service (atomz.com) will deal with raw Flash files. I do keep
mentioning this issue to my colleagues who write search engines, but
without luck so far.

Blaming the ht://Dig Group that is just silly. It's open source --
if you think it should be done, you can always do it yourself.

Avi

PS generating a list of the

At 4:24 PM -0400 10/20/2000, Douglas Kline wrote:
>I think that the inability of the search engine to find pages referenced
>through the menu bar and not by hyper-links is a significant
>disadvantage. Web
>programmers who employ these menu bars may not know that they won't be
>traversed by search engines and may not think about it and use
><LINK> tags even
>if they know. Whoever maintains the search engine may not know either. Even
>if they know or find out eventually, actually installing <LINK> tags for all
>pages referenced through menu bars and not through hyperlinks might be quite
>difficult and even making sure that all Web programmers are aware of the need
>for <LINK> tags for future use would be problematic.

The Complete Guide to Site, Intranet and Portal Search Engines
<mailto:nets@searchtools.com>  <http://www.searchtools.com>