Re: [htdig] Including Pull-Down Menu Pages

Subject: Re: [htdig] Including Pull-Down Menu Pages
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 17:33:55 PDT

I don't think you quite understand the magnitude of your request.
Have you looked at all the other search engines? Can you name me
*any* which can indeed do that? I have been testing search engines
for a year and have yet to find one which can deal with JavaScript
links, including the ones which cost thousands of dollars. One
search service ( will deal with raw Flash files. I do keep
mentioning this issue to my colleagues who write search engines, but
without luck so far.

Blaming the ht://Dig Group that is just silly. It's open source --
if you think it should be done, you can always do it yourself.

PS generating a list of the

At 4:24 PM -0400 10/20/2000, Douglas Kline wrote:
>I think that the inability of the search engine to find pages referenced
>through the menu bar and not by hyper-links is a significant
>disadvantage. Web
>programmers who employ these menu bars may not know that they won't be
>traversed by search engines and may not think about it and use
><LINK> tags even
>if they know. Whoever maintains the search engine may not know either. Even
>if they know or find out eventually, actually installing <LINK> tags for all
>pages referenced through menu bars and not through hyperlinks might be quite
>difficult and even making sure that all Web programmers are aware of the need
>for <LINK> tags for future use would be problematic.

The Complete Guide to Site, Intranet and Portal Search Engines
<>  <>