Re: [htdig] 3.2.0b2 problems (was: Local digging files without extension)

Subject: Re: [htdig] 3.2.0b2 problems (was: Local digging files without extension)
From: Markus Warg (markus@mail.du.gtn.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 02:29:45 PDT

On Die, 17 Okt 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> Well, I don't see the connection between Marcel's email and my reply to
> him, which you quoted below, and your problems with compiling 3.2.0b2.
> I don't think 3.2's handling of local files and the valid_extensions
> attribute is any different than 3.1.5's.

Not a direct connection, indeed. But as I stated, I came into the game
when Marcel encountered those core dumps. So our current problem
just switched to another level :)

> 3.2 is still in beta releases, so it's still very rough around the edges.
> However, if you're taking up Geoff's challenge to develop a patch to
> get Marcel's requested features in there, then 3.2 may be the way to go.

I think Marcel has the one or the other proposal for mime type detection,
I just added a quick hack that would fit for our needs only. I just
set the file extension to ".txt" if there is no extension. This is quite
sufficient for us because there are around 300000-400000 files without
extension, all contain plain text. There are no other files around.
Of course this is nothing to add to a release version.

> The problem you've run into is well-known, but unfortunately the solution
> is eluding us at the moment. For some reason, when using shared libraries
> on Solaris, objects in this library are not initialized properly.
> The only workaround right now is not to use shared library support on
> Solaris, by using the --disable-shared option on ./configure.

Okay, I'll try this out. I couldn't believe this first time I saw
this behavior. Mhh, I built some dynamic libs for OS/2 some time ago,
if I remember right, there is a feature that calls initialization code
automatically when a module gets loaded. Maybe this fails for Solaris?

> As for fixes to b2, there are plenty, but not in the form of patches.
> You should grab the latest development snapshot for 3.2.0b3, which is
> still in the works, but probably more stable right now than b2 is.

Okay, for now I'll try b2, when our tests are finished I will
get the new source from cvs (I haven't done this before and I just
don't have the time right now to get this running).

Thx for the information.

best regards,

Markus Warg