Re: [htdig] Some indexing problems

Subject: Re: [htdig] Some indexing problems
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 09:24:33 PDT

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Pascal Robert wrote:

> http://www.ca.inter.net/en/index2.stm
> http://www.ca.inter.net/fr/index2.stm
>
> The problem is that htdig only index the first page, it don't follow
> links. Most of the links are in DHTML code and the header is in an
> another file who is called by a SSI directive. So my question is:
> does ht://dig can follow links in DHTML and does it can "see" the
> include directive ?

SSI would only be an issue if you're trying to use the local filesystem
indexing through the local_urls attribute.

As far as DHTML, my understanding is that this acronym refers to a
combination of CSS and JavaScript. If you are coding your links via
JavaScript, this will not be possible (with any search enging that I know
of), but normal HTML links or <LINK> tags are supported.

My guess is that your problem is more mundane. If you set the start_url to
those URLs above and did not change the limit_urls_to, then it will only
index the one URL. Since no other pages will match the pattern set in
limit_urls_to, it will reject all links.

Try something like:

limit_urls_to: http://www.foo.com/en/

See <http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#limit_urls_to>