Re: [htdig] acroread problems (was: 3.1.5: Completed large index)

Subject: Re: [htdig] acroread problems (was: 3.1.5: Completed large index)
From: Peter L. Peres (plp@actcom.co.il)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 10:38:12 PDT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

>According to Geoff Hutchison:
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>> > PS: Has anyone seen Adobe PDF files (from Adobe, f.ex. BDF font
>> > specification documents) which cause strange acroreader (and htdig)
>> > problems ? I have a few and I am not glad about this.
>>
>> Oh tons, esp. if you're using acroread v. 4. If you'll see the FAQ you can
>> see that we do not recommend using acroread unless your documents cannot
>> be parsed at all by xpdf.
>>
>> <http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q4.9>
>
>You weren't very specific about what sorts of strange problems you ran
>into with acroread and htdig, Peter. Acroread 4 is quite unreliable

After the run htdig left these files undeleted:

      0 Oct 14 09:32 Acro12795aaa
      0 Oct 14 09:32 Acro12924aaa
 196149 Oct 14 09:33 htdig8963.pdf
7502354 Oct 14 09:33 htdig8963.ps

(note the size of the fourth file !). Also note that my system date is off
by one day! I am posting this from the future. Will fix it asap.

I don't know yet what these are, but I will find them. The Adobe files
were pdf documents for the BDF and PCF font encodings etc. They used to
make acroread (4) open normally, paint the page, and then color the whole
page black and complain about some sort of color space problem. In other
words I could not read them. Strange thing is, the same color space
problem message occured in the htdig log (when X11 was not running). So
it's just another bug of theirs, but why does htdig not remove the stale
files ?

Anyway, thanks for the tip with acroread 3 and the program you recommend.
I will look into it, although these were the only problems I had. You made
and maintain a great program.

Last, is there a tool that can analyze a directory tree for crosslinks and
circular links ? Because I seem to need one. I will likely write something
like that and also make it output something that can be passed as
forbidden paths to htdig (how ?) for the subsequent search.

thanks,

Peter