Re: [htdig] Re: Ornamentation?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: Ornamentation?
From: Paul Wolstenholme (
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 10:00:58 PDT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> According to Geoff Hutchison:
> > At 7:51 AM +0000 10/16/00, crosstar wrote:
> > >I was interested in the ht/dig search engine, but all of the examples
> > >I came acress had the logo and advertising on it (which we could
> > >not use, insofar as we are non-profit and non-commercial).
> > There is no restriction on use. Naturally we like it when people
> > include the logo or a link to, but there is no requirement
> > to do so. The GNU GPL only has restrictions on the distribution of
> > the source code, not on any form of use.
> Our University has a strict policy against any advertising on its web
> sites, but they've never given me any flak for having the ht://Dig logo
> on my search pages. It's not really advertising to indicate which search
> engine you use, and link to their site, especially when it's not being
> sold for profit. Many non-profit and non-commercial sites use ht://Dig
> and do carry the logo. However, if your policy is even stricter than
> ours, as Geoff said, there is no requirement to carry the logo.

I was in a similar situation at a university. Not that anyone at the
university would have ever noticed but I replaced the image with a text
link. I have had no problem. So while it may not be a Ht:/Dig requirement,
I believe that even a small notice is important. In my case, "Search
results provided by ht:/Dig" (with a link to htdig) is located at the
bottom of each search related page.

Paul Wolstenholme
SMA Webware
What do you know?