Re: [htdig] Local digging files without extension

Subject: Re: [htdig] Local digging files without extension
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 09:56:24 PDT

According to Marcel Hicking:
> I'm trying to dig local files using a generated start_url
> list and local_url.
>
> The files to index are not accessible via http but since
> I'm going to pipe the search results through a wrapper
> anyway they won't cause any problems.
>
> So far the start_url/local_url stuff works fine but
> htdig -vvv says:
> ...Trying local files
> found existing file /foo/bar
> Local retrieval failed, trying HTTP
>
> User righs are alright (I can cat the files ;-)
>
> I suspect the problem to be the missing file
> extension and the therefore unkown mimetype.
>
> Any chance of setting some sort of default mimetype?
> Any other workaround?

Yes, the problem is the missing extension. No, there's no config
attribute you can set to assign a default mime type to files with no
extension. Yes, there is a workaround, which would be to change the
RetrieveLocal() method in htdig/Document.cc to handle this case and
assign the type you want. We don't do this in the distributed source
because there isn't universal agreement on what mime type these files
should have, and we haven't worked out a better, more configurable scheme
for this code yet.