Re: [htdig] Re: Ornamentation?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: Ornamentation?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 09:43:48 PDT

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 7:51 AM +0000 10/16/00, crosstar wrote:
> >I was interested in the ht/dig search engine, but all of the examples
> >I came acress had the logo and advertising on it (which we could
> >not use, insofar as we are non-profit and non-commercial).
> There is no restriction on use. Naturally we like it when people
> include the logo or a link to htdig.org, but there is no requirement
> to do so. The GNU GPL only has restrictions on the distribution of
> the source code, not on any form of use.

Our University has a strict policy against any advertising on its web
sites, but they've never given me any flak for having the ht://Dig logo
on my search pages. It's not really advertising to indicate which search
engine you use, and link to their site, especially when it's not being
sold for profit. Many non-profit and non-commercial sites use ht://Dig
and do carry the logo. However, if your policy is even stricter than
ours, as Geoff said, there is no requirement to carry the logo.