Re: [htdig] calculated keywords not finding their way from wrapper to htsearch

Subject: Re: [htdig] calculated keywords not finding their way from wrapper to htsearch
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 09:27:27 PDT

According to Filippo Salustri:
> I'm running 3.1.5, and I have a Perl wrapper around htsearch. The
> wrapper accepts keywords which are passed directly to htsearch, or,
> alternatively, accepts certain other box and menu selections which are
> then 'calculated' into a list of keywords.
> I call htsearch like this:
> open (IN, "$htsearch -c $digconf words='$query' | ")
> where $query is a properly formed list of keywords.
> If I provide keywords to the wrapper, $query is properly set, htsearch
> does its thing, and I get good results.
> If I use the other function of the wrapper, which calculates out the
> value of $query, nothing gets passed to htsearch (I get an error
> indicating no keywords were provided, and in fact the value of $(WORDS)
> in the output templates is the null string.
> But IN BOTH CASES, $query in the call the open is correct!
> Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on?

Kind of hard to guess from what you say. You state 3 times that $query is
correct or properly set, without ever giving examples or an explanation of
what you believe to be a proper or correct setting of this string. Are
you aware that this string must be formatted as a CGI query string, i.e.
using + instead of space, and hex-encoding most punctuation characters?

If you're doing that correctly, maybe try running htsearch with one or two
-v options and looking at your web server error logs for its error output.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: