[htdig] calculated keywords not finding their way from wrapper to htsearch

Subject: [htdig] calculated keywords not finding their way from wrapper to htsearch
From: Filippo Salustri (salustri@acs.ryerson.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 21:24:51 PDT

I'm new to htDig, so I apologize if this problem is old news, but I've
looked everywhere in the web site and couldn't find anything useful

I'm running 3.1.5, and I have a Perl wrapper around htsearch. The
wrapper accepts keywords which are passed directly to htsearch, or,
alternatively, accepts certain other box and menu selections which are
then 'calculated' into a list of keywords.

I call htsearch like this:
open (IN, "$htsearch -c $digconf words='$query' | ")
where $query is a properly formed list of keywords.

If I provide keywords to the wrapper, $query is properly set, htsearch
does its thing, and I get good results.
If I use the other function of the wrapper, which calculates out the
value of $query, nothing gets passed to htsearch (I get an error
indicating no keywords were provided, and in fact the value of $(WORDS)
in the output templates is the null string.
But IN BOTH CASES, $query in the call the open is correct!

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks in advance.
Fil Salustri

Filippo A. Salustri, P.Eng.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Ryerson Polytechnic University
350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON, M5B 2K3, Canada
Tel: 416/979-5000 ext 7749
Fax: 416/979-5265
Email: salustri@ryerson.ca