Re: [htdig] KICK THE SPAMMERS OFF ASAP PLEASE

Subject: Re: [htdig] KICK THE SPAMMERS OFF ASAP PLEASE
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 07:54:09 PDT

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 10:23 PM -0700 10/11/00, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> >Geoff, close the list, or it'll become useless. To not do that is to
> >notice a gas leak, and tell everyone to just ignore the smell --
> >sooner or later, it'll explode, and saying "don't light a match"
> >just doesn't cut it.
>
> I think the metaphor of a gas leak is fine. But when I smell gas, I
> follow it up and wonder if someone left the burner on. When I smell
> gas _persistently_ or a LOT of gas, I act quickly.
>
> This list has occasionally received spam. However, since a
> significant part of the traffic is from people who aren't on the
> list, I'm not going to just jump and close the list. If I receive
> another spam message in the next day, I'll believe it's persistent
> enough to do something.
>
> But I'm also one to believe we shouldn't just lock our windows and
> bolt our doors because we occasionally receive an unwelcome guest.
> I'm from a small enough place that I *hate* having to lock my doors.

I certainly understand your desire to keep the lists open, and I agree.
However, while in the past the spam problem has been quite infrequent,
I've noticed that this week it has been happening much more frequently.
This suggests that our list addresses have made it onto spammers lists
and are getting passed around. If this turns out to be the case, the
problem is likely to get much worse. I don't think we should panic
or insist on drastic action just yet, but we should keep an eye on it.
If it gets worse, I think we'll lose people, and we don't want that!
Closing the lists may be an option we'll need to consider if things get
really hard to tolerate.

If we do that, we can still help out non-subscribers by providing
web-based forms for posting messages to the three lists, indicating the
purpose of each list. It might be a good idea to do this in any case,
rather than putting the list addresses as mailto links on our site,
where spammers can easily harvest them.