Re: [htdig] KICK THE SPAMMERS OFF ASAP PLEASE

Subject: Re: [htdig] KICK THE SPAMMERS OFF ASAP PLEASE
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 06:37:32 PDT

At 10:23 PM -0700 10/11/00, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>Geoff, close the list, or it'll become useless. To not do that is to
>notice a gas leak, and tell everyone to just ignore the smell --
>sooner or later, it'll explode, and saying "don't light a match"
>just doesn't cut it.

I think the metaphor of a gas leak is fine. But when I smell gas, I
follow it up and wonder if someone left the burner on. When I smell
gas _persistently_ or a LOT of gas, I act quickly.

This list has occasionally received spam. However, since a
significant part of the traffic is from people who aren't on the
list, I'm not going to just jump and close the list. If I receive
another spam message in the next day, I'll believe it's persistent
enough to do something.

But I'm also one to believe we shouldn't just lock our windows and
bolt our doors because we occasionally receive an unwelcome guest.
I'm from a small enough place that I *hate* having to lock my doors.