Re: [htdig] Linux Standard Base (was Red Hat 7.0 RPMS?)

Subject: Re: [htdig] Linux Standard Base (was Red Hat 7.0 RPMS?)
From: Bill Carlson (
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 06:49:02 PDT

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> At 11:02 AM +0200 10/11/00, Charles Nepote wrote:
> >Why not produce ht://Dig compatible with Linux Standard Base (all major
> >distributions are joining it : Redhat, Debian, Mandrake, Suse, Caldera
> >and so on) ?
> >May be for 3.2.0 ?
> Perhaps. But the world does not revolve around Linux. We try to make
> everything as portable as possible and that includes many different
> OSes, e.g. xBSD, Linux, Solaris, IRIX, Digital Unix/Tru64, ...
> So while it will always be easy to specify installation paths during
> configuration, I don't know that I'm going to point just towards the
> Linux filesystem standard. If parts of it make enough sense to adopt,
> then we'll do that. But only keeping in mind the filesystems used by
> other systems.

Hmmm, my Sparc Solaris machine doesn't conform to the LSB. Why should an
application that is targeted towards multiple platforms conform to the
standard for a few of those targets? Geoff is right on the money, as

IMO, this kind of customization should be left to the distribution
producers such as RedHat and others. ht://Dig certainly provides all the
needed configuration options "out of the source".

Personally, I disagree with the move of /home/httpd -> /var/www in RedHat
7.0, but then I can move it right back anytime I want. Such is the power
of Knowing How It Works.

Bill Carlson
Systems Programmer | Opinions are mine,
Virtual Hospital | not my employer's.
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics |

List archives: <>
FAQ: <>