Re: [htdig] Can't get my search to update correctly..

Subject: Re: [htdig] Can't get my search to update correctly..
From: David Adams (
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 02:18:16 PDT

> According to Rivera, Tony:
> > However, that's not working...about 5 days ago I added a new
> > directory /www/itss and have made numerous links to it from my index page
> > and various other pages on the server and it is still not getting picked up
> > when I do a search for it.
> I assume these are HTML links and not JavaScript ones. One possibility is
> that the pages you modified are actually dynamic content (SSI, PHP, etc.)
> and so the server isn't returning a Last-Modified header. If this is the
> case, htdig won't realize the pages have been modified. You can set the
> modification_time_is_now attribute to true, but then htdig will reindex
> all dynamic pages every time it runs.

This seems to depend on the server. The Southampton University server
(Apache) does SSI and allows
<!--#include virtual=...
<!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED" -->
but little else.

It does not put Last-Modified into the header when serving an SSI page.
However, even with modification_time_is_now true it still returns "not
changed" unless the file *has* been modified since the last run of

But a departmental server we also index only gives "not changed"
on its .ps and .pdf files.

David Adams
Computing Services
University of Southampton