[htdig] Red Hat 7.0 RPMS?

Subject: [htdig] Red Hat 7.0 RPMS?
From: Charles Nepote (Charles.Nepote@cetelem.fr)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 02:02:05 PDT

Gilles Detilleux wrote:

> According to Wayne Larmon:
> > I downloaded and tried to install htdig-3.1.5-0glibc21.i386.rpm. It
> > complained that it needed libstdc++. I installed
> > compat-libstdc++-6.2-2.9.0.9.i386.rpm from Red Hat 7.0's 1st install CD.
> > Then ht://Dig installed.
> >
> > But it still needed work, because Red Hat has moved the default html
> > directory from /home/httpd/html to /var/www/html. The sample "search.html"
> > (and supporting graphics) had to be moved to the new html directory.
> > /home/httpd/cgi-bin/htsearch had to be moved to /var/www/cgi-bin/htsearch.
> > The 'local_urls' variables in /etc/htdig/htdig.conf needed similar
> > attention.
>
> /var?? There must be something funny in the air down in RTP. /var is
> meant for spool files and similar transient data. It might make sense
> to put databases there if they get rebuilt from data elsewhere (e.g.
> the htdig databases), but putting the document root and cgi-bin in /var
> doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It is recommanded by the Linux Standard Base.
The subject is important, see :
http://www.linuxbase.org/
(is broken today but should work)
http://lwn.net/980528/a/lsb.html
http://slashdot.org/articles/980825/1417246.shtml
(look at the signature at the end of the page)

Why not produce ht://Dig compatible with Linux Standard Base (all major
distributions are joining it : Redhat, Debian, Mandrake, Suse, Caldera
and so on) ?
May be for 3.2.0 ?

Charles NÚpote.