Re: [htdig] Red Hat 7.0 RPMS?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Red Hat 7.0 RPMS?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 12:57:28 PDT

According to Wayne Larmon:
> From: Gilles Detillieux [mailto:grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca]
> > According to Wayne Larmon:
> > > I downloaded and tried to install htdig-3.1.5-0glibc21.i386.rpm. It
> > > complained that it needed libstdc++. I installed
> > > compat-libstdc++-6.2-2.9.0.9.i386.rpm from Red Hat 7.0's 1st install CD.
> > > Then ht://Dig installed.
> > >
> > > But it still needed work, because Red Hat has moved the default html
> > > directory from /home/httpd/html to /var/www/html. The sample
> > "search.html"
> > > (and supporting graphics) had to be moved to the new html directory.
> > > /home/httpd/cgi-bin/htsearch had to be moved to
> > /var/www/cgi-bin/htsearch.
> > > The 'local_urls' variables in /etc/htdig/htdig.conf needed similar
> > > attention.
> >
> > /var?? There must be something funny in the air down in RTP. /var is
> > meant for spool files and similar transient data. It might make sense
> > to put databases there if they get rebuilt from data elsewhere (e.g.
> > the htdig databases), but putting the document root and cgi-bin in /var
> > doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
>
> MySQL has always kept their databases in /var/lib/mysql. At least on RedHat
> and Mandrake.

I guess they're gradually pushing the envelope as far as what's
appropriate to put there. I suppose eventually everything that's not
user home directories and not static system files will wind up there.

> Is it possible for the ht://Dig team to work with the major distribution
> producers, like Red Hat and Mandrake, so that ht://Dig would be included on
> the distribution CD? I'm always disappointed when I don't find ht://Dig on
> the distribution CD.

I believe Debian and SuSE do bundle ht://Dig in their distributions, but
Red Hat and Mandrake don't. If enough Red Hat and Mandrake users requested
ht://Dig, I suppose they might begin to bundle it too.