Re: [htdig] server_aliases

Subject: Re: [htdig] server_aliases
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 08:12:46 PDT

According to Malcolm Austen:
> I never anticipated that
> server_aliases: aaa=bbb
> would map aaa:8000 into bbb:80
> but I did anticipate that it would map both
> aaa:80 into bbb:80
> and aaa:8000 into bbb:8000
> + I don't know where this clarification you're requesting should go -
> + it's not specific or unique to any one attribute.
> I was only seeing this matter as specific to server_aliases which you are
> saying only works at the combined IPname:port level and can't be used at
> the plain IPname level which might be expected from its usage to solve
> duplications arising from simple DNS aliases.
> In the absence of a clarification I still see a perfectly legitimate
> interpretation that, in the example above, all ports on aaa would be
> mapped to the corresponding port on bbb.

OK, I follow you now. (I can be a little slow sometimes. :-P)
Unfortunately, the way server_aliases is implemented right now, it's
tied into specific port numbers, so it wouldn't be a trivial change to
make it work the way you want (though I think it would be a good idea
for the future). I'll try to further clarify my clarification to the

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: