Re: [htdig] server_aliases

Subject: Re: [htdig] server_aliases
From: Malcolm Austen (malcolm.austen@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 07:56:06 PDT

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:

+ It is for this very reason, that DNS aliases are not port specific,
+ that you must specify the port number explicitly if you're not
+ using the default! Consider this: http://www.stuff.com:80/ and
+ http://www.stuff.com:8000/ may be two completely different servers with
+ completely different sets of documents. If server_aliases treated
+ them as equivalent by default, it would be a big mistake. If you're
+ not using port 80 for your http servers, you must specify so explicitly
+ wherever you point to those servers, whether in server_aliases, start_url,
+ limit_urls_to, local_urls, and everywhere else.

Gilles,

I never anticipated that
                        server_aliases: aaa=bbb
        would map aaa:8000 into bbb:80
 but I did anticipate that it would map both
                        aaa:80 into bbb:80
        and aaa:8000 into bbb:8000

+ I don't know where this clarification you're requesting should go -
+ it's not specific or unique to any one attribute.

I was only seeing this matter as specific to server_aliases which you are
saying only works at the combined IPname:port level and can't be used at
the plain IPname level which might be expected from its usage to solve
duplications arising from simple DNS aliases.

In the absence of a clarification I still see a perfectly legitimate
interpretation that, in the example above, all ports on aaa would be
mapped to the corresponding port on bbb.

regards,
        Malcolm.

 Malcolm.Austen@OUCS.ox.ac.uk http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/