Re: [htdig] server_aliases

Subject: Re: [htdig] server_aliases
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 07:33:51 PDT

According to Malcolm Austen:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> + However, you should note that if the port number is omitted, it defaults
> + to 80. If you're using non-standard port numbers, you should specify them
> + explicitly.
>
> Oh, glad you pointed that out! Maybe there are good reasons in the code
> for doing it that way? It seems to me to go against natural logic (well,
> my logic 8-) which says that since DNS aliases are not port specific then
> I would expect server_aliases without port numbers to alias for any port
> number that htdig finds on that server name.
>
> Another request for clarification in the documentation please!

It is for this very reason, that DNS aliases are not port specific,
that you must specify the port number explicitly if you're not
using the default! Consider this: http://www.stuff.com:80/ and
http://www.stuff.com:8000/ may be two completely different servers with
completely different sets of documents. If server_aliases treated
them as equivalent by default, it would be a big mistake. If you're
not using port 80 for your http servers, you must specify so explicitly
wherever you point to those servers, whether in server_aliases, start_url,
limit_urls_to, local_urls, and everywhere else. I don't know where this
clarification you're requesting should go - it's not specific or unique
to any one attribute.