Re: [htdig] Can't get my search to update correctly..

Subject: Re: [htdig] Can't get my search to update correctly..
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 10:39:03 PDT

According to Rivera, Tony:
> However, that's not working...about 5 days ago I added a new
> directory /www/itss and have made numerous links to it from my index page
> and various other pages on the server and it is still not getting picked up
> when I do a search for it.

I assume these are HTML links and not JavaScript ones. One possibility is
that the pages you modified are actually dynamic content (SSI, PHP, etc.)
and so the server isn't returning a Last-Modified header. If this is the
case, htdig won't realize the pages have been modified. You can set the
modification_time_is_now attribute to true, but then htdig will reindex
all dynamic pages every time it runs.

> I am not quite sure what I am missing here...I have read through all the
> archives on the site, ran /opt/www/htdig/bin/htdig -v -a -s and
> /opt/www/htdig/bin/htmerge -v -a -s but is still doesn't update.

I assume you know about how to maintain the .work files and non-.work
files before and after running htdig and htmerge with the -a option?
If you're not copying the updated .work files to their non-.work locations,
then htsearch won't see the updates. See the contrib/examples/rundig.sh
script for an example of using the -a option for updates.