Re: [htdig] ... but not changed

Subject: Re: [htdig] ... but not changed
From: Albert Lunde (Albert-Lunde@northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 07:08:56 PDT

> > No, the XBitHack turns .html files with execute permission into SSI
> > files (equivalent to .shtml), and for SSI files, Apache does NOT put
> > out a Last-Modified header because SSI generates dynamic content.
>
> It had not occured to me that an SSI file was "dynamic", I live and learn!
>
> This explains why a significant fraction of pages on our principal server
> generate the "retrieved but not changed message". Just as well we re-index
> completely once a week!

Another work-around may be to configure Apache to emit an Expires:
header (this requires a particular module which may be optional).

I think this has the side effect of putting out a Last-Modified
header with the current time.

--
    Albert Lunde          Albert-Lunde@northwestern.edu (new address)
                          Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu (old address)