Re: [htdig] Inherent limitaitions of htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Inherent limitaitions of htdig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 14:56:35 PDT

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Eric Bliss wrote:

> Does anybody know of any inherent limitations between htdig, an Intel
> Pentium 3 class architecture, a Red Hat Linux kernel, and roughly
> 50,000 files containing roughly 650 megs of data being indexed? I'm

None. I'd only see a limitation if you said "oh and we only have 100 megs
of free space" or "oh and we only have 16MB of RAM."

> having no end of troubles with this, and htdig isn't the first search
> engine we've had problems with. htdig seems to just be silently dying
> during indexing of the sites we have. Any thoughts?

In the case of htdig, it only dies silently if you've set it to *run*
silently. If you use flags like -s for statistics or -v for debugging (or
-vvv for *more* debugging), it will give you enough information to figure
out your pblems in almost all circumstances.

But you haven't given a whole lot of information. I'd guess that quite a
few people on this list have similar setups and don't have problems.