Re: [htdig] Last modified date revisited - Apache

Subject: Re: [htdig] Last modified date revisited - Apache
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 12:11:02 PDT

According to Roger Weiss:
> From what I can glean, there are 2 ways to get this.
> Either by putting an echo command into the html files (SSI),
> or by setting xbithack=full and setting the executable bits on for group and
> user.

No, the XBitHack turns .html files with execute permission into SSI
files (equivalent to .shtml), and for SSI files, Apache does NOT put
out a Last-Modified header because SSI generates dynamic content. To my
knowledge, you can't put out HTTP headers from an SSI file, so I don't
think this is the way to go.

In fact, the behaviour you describe, i.e. no Last-Modified header for
supposedly static .html files, suggests to me that your Apache server
is set to use a server-parsed handler for .html files, just as it is
normally configured by default for .shtml files. Take a close look
at your *.conf files and any relevant .htaccess file for AddHandler

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: