Re: [htdig] Question about Htdig's database

Subject: Re: [htdig] Question about Htdig's database
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 12:45:54 PDT

On Mon, 2 Oct 100 wrote:

> What kind of database does Htdig use? It's amazingly fast on my old faithful
> Linux box -- a Compaq 575 -- 75 blazing Mhz of power!

It uses the Berkeley Database, an enhanced BTree format database. If that
means anything to you. :-)

> Second question -- can I use such a database from my own Perl script?

Can you use a Berkeley DB? Sure, use the DBI interface--it should be part
of your Perl 5 installation.

Can you link directly to the ht://Dig databases using Perl? Yes and no.
There's the HtDig::Database module (you can find it on CPAN) that works
reasonably well. But it doesn't work under 3.2, though there are other
approaches to using 3.2's databases through the htdump/htload programs.