[htdig] FW: [htdig] MODIFIED date

Subject: [htdig] FW: [htdig] MODIFIED date
From: Roger Weiss (RogerW@trellix.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 12:22:15 PDT

Still no luck getting last modified date.
We're running Apache Server V1.3.12 (Unix).
Our pages are pure HTML and static.
I've issued the HEAD command and come up with the following: (I've replaced
some identifier stuff with xxxx for privacy. But, as you can see the server
does not return
the last modified date.
What I need to know is how can I get it?
Do I need to do the XBITHACK, which involves changing all my html files to
user and group executable?

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 17:58:53 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)
Set-Cookie: CookieStatus=COOKIE_OK; path=/; domain=.xxxx.com; expires=Tue,
02-Oct-2001 17:58:53 EST
Set-Cookie: MEMBER_PAGE=xxxxxxx/index.html; path=/; domain=.xxxxx.com
Set-Cookie: REFERRER=(null); path=/; domain=.xxxxxx.com
Connection: close

Thanks again, for your help.

Roger

Roger Weiss
rogerw@trellix.com
(978) 318-7301
http://www.trellix.com

> Htdig then starts at this file and follows the links to generate the db.
> Is that technique getting in my way at all?
> Or do I just need to change a parm in my apache server?

What kind of pages are you serving? Pure HTML or server-parsed stuff?

If the latter is the case, you have to emit the proper HTTP header
through
your scripts. Emitting a Last-Modified header from your script varies
with
the script engine you use. If instead your pages are pure HTML,
everything
should be fine without changing anything - except if you have
mod_usertrack
handling compiled in and activated, in which case the server will issue
cookies to tracks users which might cause the Last-Modified header not
be emitted by Apache.

What does the average HEAD request return? (Try telnet'ing the server on
port 80 and issue some HEAD request to see what HTTP headers are sent by
the server).

cheers,

  Torsten