Re: [htdig] Indexing a site with multiple usernames and passwords

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing a site with multiple usernames and passwords
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 10:55:28 PDT

According to Brad Nicholson:
> I have a web site I want to index, and there are several different areas
> protected by .htaccess files. The problem is that there is not a consitant
> username and password accross them all. Is there a way to supply multiple
> usernames and passwords to htdig, or do I need to set up a general admin
> user that grants access to all areas (I don't really want to do this).

If you're indexing only static HTML, plain text pages, or PDFs in those
protected areas, and they're all on the same server where you're running
htdig, you can bypass the HTTP server, and therefore its authorization
requirements, by indexing via the local filesystem, using the local_urls
attribute.

See http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#local_urls