Re: [htdig] virtual hosts and url_part_aliases

Subject: Re: [htdig] virtual hosts and url_part_aliases
From: Jim Cole (
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 14:55:51 PDT

Hi - I just finished dealing with a similar problem. It turned out that
url_part_aliases was not sufficient to handle the situation I was trying
to address. I strongly suspect that the same will be true for what you
describe. In addition to the patch suggested below, the use of Apache's
mod_rewrite was also suggested as a solution. I took this latter route
and it has worked out very well. Of course this approach requires that
you use Apache, either have mod_rewrite enabled or have the ability to
enable it, and are willing to deal with figuring out how to use it ;)

Gilles Detillieux's bits of Wed, 20 Sep 2000 translated to:

>According to John Sullivan:
>> We have a number of virtual hosts, which are something of the form:
>> ->
>> Now right now, assuming both have links to them (as often happens) we
>> end up with two entries for a particular page, so if the word "febo" is
>> on, a search for febo will turn up both
>> the above URL's.
>> What I'm thinking of doing (and am about to try) is setting up
>> url_part_aliases thus:
>> url_part_aliases: *1 \
>> *1
>> so that both will get stored the same way. Will this lead to any
>> problems? I presume I'd then want to have a slightly different config
>> file for search, so that *1 expands uniquely (probably to
>> in this case).
>> The two reasons we want to do this is so that we'd be able to restrict a
>> search to and to rid of the double hits.
>I'm pretty sure that url_part_aliases will not work for many-to-one
>mappings as you need. It seems, from problem reports in the past couple
>weeks, that things go awry when you try to use it in this way. It was
>only designed for one-to-one mappings. You may have better success
>with Andy Armstrong's patch for URL rewriting, available at the patch
>archive site:

List archives: <>
FAQ: <>