Re: [htdig] Including Pull-Down Menu Pages

Subject: Re: [htdig] Including Pull-Down Menu Pages
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 20:46:59 PDT

At 8:09 PM -0400 9/21/00, Douglas Kline wrote:
>Fixed a nasty security hole in htsearch, which would allow users to view any
>file on your site that had read permission.
>
>I would like to ask whether this security hole applies to all installations of
>ht-Dig v. 3.1.1

Yes. AFAIK, it applies to absolutely every installation that's not
using 3.1.5 or later.

>Also, I would like to ask how the later version improves stability.

By "stability" I would usually refer to the ability to crash things.
I can't think of many changes that stopped segfaults (which we take
quite seriously), but I can think of a few fixes (listed in
RELEASE.html) that fixed potential infinite loops, a few fixes in the
connection code that should keep connections from piling up, etc. If
you want more details, see the release notes or the ChangeLog.

[snip]
>pull-down menus. Simple hyperlinks wouldn't do as well. They take up much
>more space and to get a menu, you'd have to switch to the page with the menu
>through a hyper-link and then, if you want to get to a page listed on the
[snip]

I'm not saying you need to use hyperlinks. I was just saying that
there isn't a way for a search engine to read your menus of links.

>However I could find no mention of these <LINK> tags in the Web page
>http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/ you cite. Is there another reference or
>did I miss a link or something?

They're in all of the HTML specifications, I believe dating back to
HTML 2.0. See in the sections on "Links." If you want a nice exact
URL, try: <http://web3.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.3>