Re: [htdig] Re: htdig: Modified Date

Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: htdig: Modified Date
From: Erik Lyons (erikl@gemstone.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 11:09:35 PDT

OK, to breifly summarize, I have a large archive of totally static
(primarily HTML/PDF) documents generated over the past, oh, eight years
or so. I would like htsearch to show the system date of each file. This
is the only date which could be significant or useful to users of the
search.

The PDFs are returning a date of some sort, as observed elsewhere. I can
populate each HTML file with its system date in a META tag, and provided
the SortMetaDate patch performs as designed, I'll be in business (and
silent for ever more) ;-)

Gilles Detillieux wrote:

> According to Geoff Hutchison:
> > On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Erik Lyons wrote:
> > > I am using 3.1.5. As I understand it, modification_date_is_now provides
> > > the indexing date, which (as others have hinted) is not terribly useful
> > > for the end user.
> >
> > But isn't this the most appropriate date for truly dynamic content? It
> > represents the date/time the document was generated.
> >
> > > Just thinking aloud: Can htdig translate META tags into $(MODIFIED)? I
> > > can easily "seed" each file with its system date...
> >
> > Funny you mention that...
> > See <ftp://ftp.ccsf.org/htdig-patches/3.1.5/SortMetaDate.0>
>
> I'm only following one half of the conversation (Erik, please see
> http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q1.16), so it's hard for me to know
> if this is on-topic or not, as I don't know what the source of the
> dynamic content is. However, with a CGI script you can simply emit a
> "Last-Modified: " header right after the Content-Type header, to provide
> the date. See http://www.htdig.org/mail/1999/02/0255.html for a bit
> more information about this.
>
> --
> Spinal Cord Research Centre WWW: http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/~grdetil