Re: [htdig] Re: htdig: Modified Date

Subject: Re: [htdig] Re: htdig: Modified Date
From: Erik Lyons (
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 11:09:35 PDT

OK, to breifly summarize, I have a large archive of totally static
(primarily HTML/PDF) documents generated over the past, oh, eight years
or so. I would like htsearch to show the system date of each file. This
is the only date which could be significant or useful to users of the

The PDFs are returning a date of some sort, as observed elsewhere. I can
populate each HTML file with its system date in a META tag, and provided
the SortMetaDate patch performs as designed, I'll be in business (and
silent for ever more) ;-)

Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> According to Geoff Hutchison:
> > On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Erik Lyons wrote:
> > > I am using 3.1.5. As I understand it, modification_date_is_now provides
> > > the indexing date, which (as others have hinted) is not terribly useful
> > > for the end user.
> >
> > But isn't this the most appropriate date for truly dynamic content? It
> > represents the date/time the document was generated.
> >
> > > Just thinking aloud: Can htdig translate META tags into $(MODIFIED)? I
> > > can easily "seed" each file with its system date...
> >
> > Funny you mention that...
> > See <>
> I'm only following one half of the conversation (Erik, please see
>, so it's hard for me to know
> if this is on-topic or not, as I don't know what the source of the
> dynamic content is. However, with a CGI script you can simply emit a
> "Last-Modified: " header right after the Content-Type header, to provide
> the date. See for a bit
> more information about this.
> --
> Gilles R. Detillieux E-mail: <>