Re: [htdig] Indexing a whole site

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing a whole site
From: Torsten Neuer (
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 06:36:15 PDT

"Vladimir Sánchez O." wrote:
> Hi, I'm using htdig and I have a problem: hoe to index my whole site. I
> have a homepage with a Macromedia Flash menu and no links to other pages
> in the site, so when I run htdig I index nothing but the homepage.
> Is there something I can set in htdig.conf to force subdirectories
> indexation?

All you need is an external parser program that understands flash
and can extract the text and hyperlinks from it. The Ht://Dig in-
dexer is then abler to proceed through all your pages.

However. As of now, there is no external parser for flash that I
know of. There was some open-source flash plugin for Unix some-
where which could have been used as a starting point for writing
such a program, but this seems to have disappeared somehow.

Alternatively, you can place the links which are in your flash
menu as <LINK> tags in the <HEAD> section of the page. Ht://Dig
will follow them, too. You need to update the page whenever the
links in the menu change though.

E-Mail:            Internet: