Re: [htdig] Indexing new pages *only*

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing new pages *only*
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 09:12:15 PDT

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Martin Mielke wrote:

> So, the question: is it possible to index new documents only? I know for
> sure that the old docs are still there and reindexing everything from
> scratch with rundig takes more minutes everytime so it's difficult to put it
> on a cron...

If you do not specify -i and there are pre-existing databases with the
same names already there, htdig will uses these as a basis for updating
the databases. I say "same names" because if you use -a, then it will look
for pre-existing .work databases to start.

This will go through all the URLs in the database, check to see if they're
modified and index any new or modified documents.

For an example of doing this, see
<http://www.htdig.org/files/contrib/scripts/rundig.sh>