Re: [htdig] virtual hosts and url_part_aliases

Subject: Re: [htdig] virtual hosts and url_part_aliases
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 08:43:38 PDT

According to John Sullivan:
> We have a number of virtual hosts, which are something of the form:
>
> http://www.example.vcu.edu/ -> http://www.vcu.edu/sample
>
> Now right now, assuming both have links to them (as often happens) we
> end up with two entries for a particular page, so if the word "febo" is
> on http://www.example.vcu.edu/, a search for febo will turn up both
> the above URL's.
>
> What I'm thinking of doing (and am about to try) is setting up
> url_part_aliases thus:
>
> url_part_aliases: www.example.vcu.edu *1 \
> www.vcu.edu/sample *1
>
> so that both will get stored the same way. Will this lead to any
> problems? I presume I'd then want to have a slightly different config
> file for search, so that *1 expands uniquely (probably to
> www.example.vcu.edu in this case).
>
> The two reasons we want to do this is so that we'd be able to restrict a
> search to www.example.vcu.edu and to rid of the double hits.

I'm pretty sure that url_part_aliases will not work for many-to-one
mappings as you need. It seems, from problem reports in the past couple
weeks, that things go awry when you try to use it in this way. It was
only designed for one-to-one mappings. You may have better success
with Andy Armstrong's patch for URL rewriting, available at the patch
archive site:

   ftp://ftp.ccsf.org/htdig-patches/3.1.5/