Re: [htdig] problem with locale

Subject: Re: [htdig] problem with locale
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 08:00:10 PDT

According to Sanaa El moutea:
> I've read the FAQ and I've found this problem about accents
>
> >I've made exactly all the things the article "Comment installer et
> configurer HtDig pour la langue française" describe but it's alway
> >doesn't work.... With the "locale" command.
> > In fact, after some research in the db.wordlist, I've found the word
> are cut
> > just before the accent... for example, in my html documents I've the
> word
> > "représentation"... in the db.wordlist, I've found only the word
> "repr" !
> > Even if I found "représentation" if I just type "repr", it's not
> very good !
>
> I've read the response of Gilles Detilleux , I've install lc_ctype file
> in /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES
> but it's always doesn't work .
> NB: htdig under windows

That last point is key. I assume you're running under Cygwin. I'm not
familiar with that package enough to know about its locale support.
The symptoms you describe are a clear indication that the locale isn't
being recognised, but the advice I gave in earlier e-mails was for Unix
or Linux systems, and may not apply to Cygwin. You should consult the
Cygwin documentation to find out how to set up locale support.

However, if it is similar to Unix/Linux, then the LC_CTYPE file shouldn't
go under the LC_MESSAGES directory of your locale, but instead, directly
in the fr or fr_FR directory (depending on which you use as your locale).