Re: [htdig] configuration question

Subject: Re: [htdig] configuration question
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 07:47:05 PDT

According to gcapp:
> We have started to use your htdig search page on our site through
> Mindspring.
> I am having a problem and I hope you can help. Bear in mind that I am not
> versed in cgi-script.
> The problem I am having is that every time I type in a word in the search
> box that is not found on our site, I don't get the "No match" page to come
> up. I get a error box, which states the following:
>
> Unable to read configuration file '/usr/local/htdig/conf/htdig.conf'

This could be due to one of the following conditions:
- The config file doesn't exist at that location.
- It does exist, but isn't readable by the user ID under which the web
  server runs. It should not only be set with the correct permissions, but
  all directories leading up to it must be executable (i.e. searchable)
  by the web server user ID. The same goes for all your template files
  and databases, and their directories.
- The CGI program may be running under a "virtual root" directory, i.e.
  the server does a chroot before executing htsearch. If this is the
  case, then it won't see the same /usr/local directory that you do at
  the command prompt or from FTP. E.g. it could be under some directory
  like /home/www/virtual/www.mydomain.com/usr/local/..., depending on
  how the ISP sets things up. Not all virtual servers are set up this
  way, but I've seen this problem creep up a couple times before.