Re: [htdig] htsearch error: Permission denied

Subject: Re: [htdig] htsearch error: Permission denied
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 18:39:06 PDT

At 2:28 AM -0500 9/19/00, Florin Jurcovici wrote:
>I installed it on a Linux w. Apache. Evything works fine, except
>that whenever htsearch is called as a CGI script, it generates an
>error in the log files of apache:
>WordDB: /usr/local/htdig/var/htdig/db.w... (something): Permission denied.

Let me take a stab here. My guess is that you're running 3.2.0b2, in
which case this is a known bug. The "weakcmpr" file that is created
by this beta, unfortunately needs to be writeable by the webserver
UID. This is fixed as of a more recent snapshot, try for example:

(The 9/17 snapshot is unfortunately broken and this will hopefully be
fixed for the next snapshot.)

>Does htsearch need write access to the database files? I suppose not.

Alas, it's a bug--I wish I had caught it (and a few others) in time
for 3.2.0b2.