[htdig] Re: difficulty

Subject: [htdig] Re: difficulty
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 20:57:45 PDT

Hi,

I don't have much to do with that particular website--that's run by
the York University website.

But I can give you an easy answer as to why it won't do phrase
searching. The program used on the website, ht://Dig, at the moment
is not capable of doing phrase searches. If the "search machine" was
claiming it was looking for the whole phrase, then you should let the
webmaster know--usually the address webmaster@... will get the
appropriate person.

At 2:00 PM -0500 9/15/00, psundhei@uwc.edu wrote: >I looked for a site to email questions on your homepage and related pages >and found none. So I am asking you. I used your search machine at >http://at.yorku.ca/cgi-bin/htsearch to find a reference for > >open book decomposition > >Even though, at the top of the page, it listed the request as (open) and >(book) and (decomposition) the sites located had open OR book OR >decomposition. I wanted the entire phrase and your search machine seemed >to be claiming that it was looking for the entire phrase, but in fact, >references that mentioned "book" did not mention "decomposition" etc. > >So my question: How can I get the search machine to find the phrase, open >book decomposition? I have tried 'open book decomposition', "open book >decomposition", (open book decomposition), (open) and (book) and >(decomposition) with the match being "All" and with the match being >"Boolean". > >Thank you for your time and help. > >Paul Sundheim >University of Wisconsin >1500 University Drive >Waukesha, WI 53188 >(262) 521-5437 >psundhei@uwc.edu