Re: [htdig] "no server running" during indexing after arbitrary point

Subject: Re: [htdig] "no server running" during indexing after arbitrary point
From: David Adams (
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 05:26:56 PDT

> Hello-
> At a seemingly random point during indexing our intranet, I get an error "unable to build connection to server". After that, every single document gets a "no server running" error. This has happened since I started using htdig.
Until yesterday I used no "server_wait_time".
> With server_wait_time: 10 I finally got a whole indexing run without errors yesterday (I know, only one run of evidence). But when I started indexing today with server_wait_time: 5 I started getting them around the 600th document.
I've had them as early as 300 and as late as 2000+.
> Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice?

I used to see this occasionally when indexing (with a low max_hop_count)
a large number of servers not in our domain.

When I started using a proxy, configured with the http_proxy attribute
in the config file, the problem went away.

David Adams
Computing Services
University of Southampton