Re: [htdig] "no server running" during indexing after arbitrary point

Subject: Re: [htdig] "no server running" during indexing after arbitrary point
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 11:04:38 PDT

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 GregHolmes@aol.com wrote:

> errors yesterday (I know, only one run of evidence). But when I
> started indexing today with server_wait_time: 5 I started getting them
> around the 600th document. I've had them as early as 300 and as late
> as 2000+.

The default is to index as fast as possible, but some servers can be
overwhelmed, esp. if you're indexing from a faster machine than the
server. This obviously also depends some on the network traffic and
whether there's much traffic on the server for other users. (I usually
index at 5AM, which seems to be the lowest usage time from stats.)

Obviously you will want to set server_wait_time as appropriate. Users
indexing other people's machines often set this at 30 sec. though in a
multi-user setting htdig will alternate servers by default.