Re: [htdig] configure under BSD not finding fstream.h

Subject: Re: [htdig] configure under BSD not finding fstream.h
From: Brett Rabideau (misha@toto.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 08:48:26 PDT

Geoff -

Here's more information about the programs that I have found:

technocopia: {16} % g++2 -v
 gcc2 -v
gcc version 2.7.2.1

technocopia: {17} % g++ -v
 gcc2 -v
gcc version 2.7.2.1

technocopia: {18} % gcc -v
gcc version 2.7.2.1

technocopia: {21} % gcc2 -v
gcc version 2.7.2.1
technocopia: {22} %

As you can see EVERYTHING reports version 2.7.2.1 - something stinks here,
me thinks.

There's a ton of libraries in /usr/lib:

libg++.a
libg++.const
libg++.so
libg++_p.a
libg++_s.3.0.0
libg++_s.4.0.0
libg++_s.4.0.0.a

as well as:

libstdc++.a
libstdc++.const
libstdc++.so
libstdc++_p.a
libstdc++_s.3.0.0
libstdc++_s.4.0.0
libstdc++_s.4.0.0.a

Interestingly enough, there's a ~technoco/usr/lib, too - only has two
libraries in it:

libg++.so libstdc++.so

I wonder if that could be the issue?

Let me know, and I'll go attempt to deal with the virtual server people
again.... in the past, they haven't been very helpful, I must admit.

Kind Regards,

Brett

--On Wednesday, September 13, 2000 11:28 AM -0400 Geoff Hutchison
<ghutchis@wso.williams.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Brett Rabideau wrote:
>
>> g++ -v:
>> gcc version 2.7.2.1
>>
>> gcc -v:
>> gcc version 2.7.2.1
>
> Grumble. Someone must have compiled your libstdc++ with a newer version of
> gcc/g++ because it's expecting exception-handling code. For portability
> reasons, we do not use this in ht://Dig, but you're stuck if that's the
> only version of libstdc++.
>
> Maybe there's a version of libg++-2.7.2 around? That might have better
> results with that version of gcc/g++. (This is one reason the gcc
> maintainers decided to merge libstdc++ in with g++.)
>
>> (Have I mentioned that I disliked virtual servers that I don't have root
>> access to?<G>)
>
> I can understand your complaint. Any way to discuss things with the person
> who installed the compilers?
>
> --
> -Geoff Hutchison
> Williams Students Online
> http://wso.williams.edu/

Brett Rabideau
 "She sells C-Shells and other Assorted Perls by the Seashore..."
 Periwinkle Communications LLC
 Performance-based Web Site Hosting, Programming & Design
 http://www.toto.com
 misha@toto.com