[htdig] configure under BSD not finding fstream.h

Subject: [htdig] configure under BSD not finding fstream.h
From: Brett Rabideau (misha@toto.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 14:03:52 PDT

Hi all -

I searched through the archives, and while I found similar questions, I
didn't find answers that worked.

When running configure under BSD (on a virtual server, none the less<G>),
I'm getting the typical error message that it can't find fstream.h and that
I need to install libstdc++ - here's the tail end of what it finds:

checking for fstream.h... no
configure: error: To compile ht://Dig, you will need a C++ library. Try
installing libstdc++.

libstdc++ is installed, and I have located fstream.h in
/usr/local/include/g++/

I have attempted all of the following:

(1) ./configure -prefix=/usr/local/include/g++/

RESULT: still can't find it.

(2) From advice from part of the archives, I tried setting:

setenv CFLAGS="-O2 -I/usr/local/include/g++"
setenv CXXFLAGS="O2 -I/usr/local/include/g++"

When I ran ./configure, I received:

checking whether the C++ compiler (c++ O2 -I/usr/local/include/g++= )
works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.

(3) Borrowing further from another example, I tried:

setenv CFLAGS="-O2 -I/usr/local/include/g++"
setenv CXXFLAGS="O2 -I/usr/local/include/g++"
./configure --prefix=/usr/local

and once again got to:

checking for fstream.h... no
configure: error: To compile ht://Dig, you will need a C++ library. Try
installing libstdc++.

I'm flat out of ideas, and there is nothing else I can find in the archives
- can anyone help?

Kind Regards,

Brett Rabideau
 "She sells C-Shells and other Assorted Perls by the Seashore..."
 Periwinkle Communications LLC
 Performance-based Web Site Hosting, Programming & Design
 http://www.toto.com
 misha@toto.com