Re: [htdig] Can't search for numbers, or words beginning with a dollar sign

Subject: Re: [htdig] Can't search for numbers, or words beginning with a dollar sign
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 07:01:38 PDT

According to Daniel Buchmann:
> I've just installed ht://Dig version 3.1.5 running on RedHat Linux 6.2.
> I've got it working with norwegian locale and a norwegian ispell dictionary, but
> sometimes I want to search for numbers, which gives me no results. Is numbers a
> bad_word by default, so you can't search for them?
> I also sometimes want to search for words beginning with the dollar sign ($),
> but the search script/engine seems to strip the dollar sign away. Is it possible
> to avoid this?
> (Couldn't search for numbers or words with $ even if it was configured with the
> default english locale/dictionary.)

There are a couple configuration attributes to enable both of these
capabilities. See

http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#allow_numbers
http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#extra_word_characters

You'll need to rebuild your database from scratch after changing either
of these.

> I didn't compile ht://Dig from the source, installed it from an rpm
> (htdig-3.1.5-0glibc21.i386.rpm).

Thanks for mentioning that. It happens that you have the right RPM for
your system, but many users pick the wrong one and don't mention anything
about how they installed the package, so we end up overlooking what should
be obvious.