Re: [htdig] Htmerge problem in version 3.2beta

Subject: Re: [htdig] Htmerge problem in version 3.2beta
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 05:45:59 PDT

At 7:51 PM -0200 9/11/00, Geraldo Moraes wrote:
>I've downloaded the Htdig 3.2beta and installed it...

This is very confusing to me. There are 2 released betas, 3.2.0b1 and
3.2.0b2. There are also the development snapshots, which have version
numbering like 3.2.0b3-XXXXXX where XXXXX is a date.

>Is there anything wrong with htmerge ??? How can I solve this?

It sounds like you downloaded a snapshot and didn't look at the
RELEASE.html release notes. Granted, they're not updated enough for
the snapshots, but they would tell you to look at the upgrade.html
file if you're upgrading from 3.1. This would explain your question.
The answer is that htmerge is no longer used for "cleaning up"
databases, but intsead the more powerful htpurge program.

The change in "syntax" was done to make the programs a bit more
obvious to newcomers:

htdig - digging/indexing
htmerge - merging databases (and nothing else)
htpurge - purging URLs and unused data from databases
htdump - dumping DB to disk
htload - reading DB from disk
htstat - gathering statistics on DB
htfuzzy - making fuzzy DB
htsearch - searching DB
htnotify - sending notification messages