Re: [htdig] url_part_aliases

Subject: Re: [htdig] url_part_aliases
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 22:50:41 PDT

Torsten Neuer's bits of Fri, 8 Sep 2000 translated to:

>Jim Cole wrote:
>>
>> I suspect I am just trying to do something with url_part_aliases that it
>> is neither intended for nor capable of :( All I really want to do is
>> selectively rewrite some URL's. We have a large number of accounts that,
>> for reasons I won't go into, have two valid URL's for each page. And a lot
>> of the pages have links that mix the two forms. But in order to correctly
>> filter the results, I need to make sure the resulting URL's all have a
>> consistent form.
>
>This can normally be achieved on the server itself using mod_rewrite on
>Apache.
>On other servers I don't know, but I guess that they probably offer
>similar
>functionality.

I thought about doing this, but I wasn't convinced it would solve the
problem. If htdig grabs a page with a bunch of links of the form I am
trying to avoid, won't it still add those URL's to the database,
regardless of what mod_rewrite is doing? Or will htdig somehow correct
those links when it retrieves the corresponding pages?

Jim