Re: [htdig] url_part_aliases

Subject: Re: [htdig] url_part_aliases
From: Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 01:05:18 PDT

Jim Cole wrote:

> I suspect I am just trying to do something with url_part_aliases that it
> is neither intended for nor capable of :( All I really want to do is
> selectively rewrite some URL's. We have a large number of accounts that,
> for reasons I won't go into, have two valid URL's for each page. And a lot
> of the pages have links that mix the two forms. But in order to correctly
> filter the results, I need to make sure the resulting URL's all have a
> consistent form.

This can normally be achieved on the server itself using mod_rewrite on
Apache.
On other servers I don't know, but I guess that they probably offer
similar
functionality.

The url_part_aliases is used to reduce the size of the databases. It is
sort
of a maximum compression for URLs stored therein.

If the server itself does not redirect /~foo to /bar, then you will see
all
/~foo and all /bar pop up in other search engines (which you are not
able
to control), too.

cheers,

  Torsten