Re: [htdig] display search results in multiple frames ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] display search results in multiple frames ?
From: Simon Schäfer (simon@gekko.de)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 00:36:48 PDT

Hello,

First of all, thanks for the replies. I don't really feel like putting a
wrapper around the htsearch process, it complicates the whole process
and makes it more suspectible to configuration/runtime errors. I always
liked the simplicity of htdig compared to the Altavista search engine.

> You can do it without a wrapper and it will be even more ugly ;-)
> Since you need one document for each frame, have the controlling (index)
> document call 2 htsearch processes with identical parameters but
> different
> configuration files, i.e. have the templates different for both search
> results.

Now this I call ugly. What a waste of resources... Nice idea though.

> I still wonder what the purpose of splitting up such documents could be
> ;)

It's a designer's idea- they make your life hard sometimes... You would
think that htdig is customizable enough, yet they can still come up with
new ideas. I heard rumors about putting frameset definitions and sources
in on single page, which would be perfect for what I have in mind, but I
couldn't find anything useful. Seems like it's not more than a rumor,
wouldn't fit in the concept of html anyways.

Greetings,

Simon