Re: [htdig] display search results in multiple frames ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] display search results in multiple frames ?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 12:51:41 PDT

According to Luis Henrique Cassis Fagundes:
> Hi,
> You can make a simple scripts that generate a frameset and passes the
> query string to htsearch. Then the action of the search form will be
> this cgi instead of htsearch. In perl, it will be something like this:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> $parameters = $ENV{QUERY_STRING};
>
> print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
> print qq|
> <frameset...>
> <frame src="/cgi-bin/htsearch?$parameters">
> </frameset>|;
> __END__
>
> []s
> Luis

Yes, I thought of something like that after sending my reply to Simon.
Trouble is, Simon wanted the page number list in a separate frame from
the search results. That would require calling htsearch twice, once
for each frame, with the same query string but with a different "config"
parameter, to select a config customized to give just the results or just
the page list. If you wanted the followup search form in yet another
frame, that would require a third call to htsearch, with yet another
config file. Without caching of htsearch results (which is only being
talked about now) it would be extremely inefficient.