Re: [htdig] display search results in multiple frames ?

Subject: Re: [htdig] display search results in multiple frames ?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 11:05:59 PDT

According to Simon =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sch=E4fer?=:
> is there some way to display the search results in multiple frames, e.g.
> putting the navigation-buttons (usually at the bottom of the page) in a
> frame on the left side and the detailed site listing in the right frame
> ? As far as I understand htsearch, it generates ONE html-site, which is
> customizable, but are there any options to build a frameset ? Thanks in
> advance for replies.

There's no reasonable way of doing this, to my knowledge. Framesets
require passing several HTML document from server to client, while CGI
scripts can only return a single document. Maybe someone can correct
me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can define frame contents in-line
in the same document as the frameset.

There might be a very kludgy way around this, by writing a wrapper
script that splits up the htsearch output into several documents, storing
them in temporary files accessible by the server, and then returning a
frameset to the client that refers to these temporary frame content files.
It sounds like this could be a logistical nightmare, though. I wouldn't
recommend it.