Re: [htdig] index always scores 100

Subject: Re: [htdig] index always scores 100
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 05:59:12 PDT

At 9:15 AM -0500 9/5/00, Ted Stresen-Reuter wrote:
>If you want, go to and enter the
>word "kraft" as the search term and you'll see what I mean. I've tried
>deleting the databases and indexing again, but I still got the same

So here's the answer. I poured through your verbose output and found
a few links like this:

href: (Published: March 1998 Kraft
Foods, Inc. names Amina Dickerson ...)

So this is where it's getting "Kraft"--from the link text. You can
turn this off using description_factor since it doesn't seem to be
working very well in your case. Usually the text of links is fairly
accurate as a description of the page (or it's so general that it's
not likely to show up in searches like "click here.")

In any case, the combination of this and possibly backlink_factor are
probably the reason you're getting these "phantom" matches.