Re: [htdig] Using a different program for digging

Subject: Re: [htdig] Using a different program for digging
From: Torsten Neuer (tneuer@inwise.de)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 01:02:12 PDT

Luis Henrique Cassis Fagundes wrote:

> Hi,
> I need a search engine for a heavy loaded website with a lot of
> information, and I'd like to use htdig. The problem is that the texts to
> be indexed are not in a page, they're in an Oracle database, so htdig
> can't index them. I want to make a program (that I believe it will be
> much simpler than htdig itself) to read the database and generate
> db.docdb and db.wordlist, so htmerge would create the word database as
> it were from the website, as I want.

One simple question: How do your website get to the contents of the
database? Ht://Dig can index everything your site provides with proper
references to the corresponding URLs. This cannot be achieved by
directly
accessing the SQL database with any spider.

So since you definitely want to index a website rather than an SQL
database and use the index to retrieve web pages, I cannot really
see where your problem is ;)

cheers,
  Torsten